Each month this year we will have a theme dedicated to a different kind of PIE! Yes you heard me right, PIE! The theme will dive farther into the pie, talking about what it's made of and how some of the ingredients might be grown and what not. For September APPLE PIE was our pie theme and we talked mostly about apples. How they are grown, how they start (a seed), what colors they come in, what they look like, smell like and taste like. We know apples inside and out now. At the end of each PIE theme we will be letting the kids make a pie of their own (or collaboratively as a class). So on Thursday we made our very own APPLE PIES. I must confess that I had never made apple pie before and this was quite the experiment for me as well. But the kids had a blast and so did I. What amazing little chefs and bakers we have in our little class. Below are pictures of each of the students helping to create our APPLE PIE! They began by helping me measure and add all of the ingredients for the crust.
Next, they helped mix all of the ingredients together. Mixing is very important when making a homemade crust. After the mixing was finished they helped pat the crust into the baking dish.

The kids then helped me use the apple peeler, slicer, corer utensil that I have. They got to crank the wheel too make the the apples perfect for pies. Next they all helped adding cinnamon and sugar to the filling and then each got to put a few spoonfuls of the filling into our pie crust. We put a top cover of the crust on the pie and put it into the oven.

Finally the pie was out of the oven and we added a spoonful of vanilla ice cream to it and ate our delicious creation. I won't lie to you, it was quite the process and I may be calling on parents to help when we bake our next pie. But we had a great time and I felt that the kids really enjoyed creating and especially eating our HOMEMADE APPLE PIE!!!




1 comment:
Thanks for doing the blog. I love the pics and updates. The pie was delicious! YOu need to post/email the recipe.
Post a Comment